Skip to main content

Valentine’s Day Special


The alarm rings. I snooze it and go back to bed. The alarm rings again in ten minutes. This time, I stumble to the bathroom and splash water on my face mercilessly. It is a working day and no matter that the sky is still dark outside, we will all get late unless I start building up a storm in the kitchen soon!

In the kitchen, I measure out coffee and sugar as I put the milk and water to boil. Then I bring my phone to the kitchen and start Sri Venkatesa Suprabhatam on my music app. As the notes of Kausalya Supraja … fill the silence of the morning in M S Subbalakshmi’s melodious voice, I pour out coffee in two mugs – regular coffee, less sugar, for myself; and a black coffee, normal sugar, for the husband. Taking the coffee back to the bedroom (well, the husband needs the whiff of coffee to rouse him out of bed), I cannot help but think how lovely it must be for Lord Venkatesa to wake up to the melodious hymns sung in his praise, telling him it is time for him to wake up and start blessing all the people who wait patiently outside the temple for one glimpse of his wonderfully handsome face! While here we are, mere mortals, waking up to shrill alarms that keep getting shriller and shriller as we keep snoozing them!

Back in the kitchen, I spend the next hour in a blur – I only know that by the end of that hour, I have breakfast and lunch ready for three people – and about a quarter of an hour after that, with the husband and the little one gone to work and school respectively, I am alone at home, a second cup of coffee in hand, checking my phone for the latest news, from family, and the world at large.

And that is when it hits me – it is Valentine’s Day today!
Oops!

No wonder they were playing that romantic movie on TV last night! I can’t help but think about the people in these (English) movies, who wake each other up nuzzling and hugging and with that wonderfully delicious kiss right out of sleep! Mmmm! But of course, that is not practicable in real life, what with the irritation of having been woken up by the shrill alarm!

Morning! The coffee is getting cold. That is what I said to the husband in the morning, didn’t I? Had I known it was Valentine’s Day, maybe I would’ve woken him up with a bit more excitement…? 
Anyway, that ship has now sailed. And so I look forward to his call in a little while, when we both will have our breakfast – he in the office and me at home. I will mention something then. Is it possible to nuzzle on the phone? Who knows!

But the time of the phone call comes and goes and when I am about to call him to ask what’s up, a message pops up on my phone – on a call. Will ping later. Have breakfast. Have had.
So much for the nuzzling on the phone. Hmph! Sure! I write back. Will wait. Do ping later!
Thus the day begins; and we both get busy. By mid-day, when I am up for yet another cuppa, I look at the phone again. My social media timeline, by now, is overflowing with my friends wishing their spouses a happy Valentine’s Day on Facebook (seriously? Even they didn’t get time to wish each other at home, then?) There are also my older aunts and uncles – relatively new entrants to the world of social media – wishing everyone a happy Valentine’s Day. Then there are my younger cousins, forwarding jokes and memes for the occasion. And even Shashi Tharoor has said something about Valentine’s Day (which I know is about Valentine’s Day, only because he used those two words).

I feel bad that I haven’t yet wished the husband a happy Valentine’s Day and send him a text asking how things are going. (Come on, I am a woman, I am waiting for him to wish me first, of course!)

All good. Done with the call sometime back. Rushing for a meeting now. In cab. Did you have breakfast? Comes the reply to my message.

Yep! Had breakfast. Good luck with the meeting. Can chat around lunch! I shoot back.

By lunchtime, I am already engrossed in my work and when he calls, we end up chatting for a few minutes about our day and our deliverables. While I am still on the call, I get a client call, and I disconnect telling the husband I will call him right back. Of course, a few hours later, I have completely forgotten about it.

In due course, the little one returns from school and it is tea time. It is also time for me to start on dinner in a bit. And so I ping the husband – Chole good tonight?

Yep! He pings back with a thumbs up; and that settled, I get busy with dinner prep while the little one goes out to play and returns hungry, upset and cranky, a few hours later.

Finally after dinner, when the little one, half asleep, cuddles next to me while I read him a bedtime story – ‘I love you mummy,’ said the baby sheep. ‘I love you baby,’ said the mummy sheep – that I am reminded once again about today being Valentine’s Day!

Settling the little one in bed, I walk up to the husband in the study where he is hunched over his laptop.

Hey! I say, going to stand behind him and starting to rub his shoulders. Hey! He turns in his chair.

Suddenly I am reminded of the scene from the movie Pretty Woman, when Richard Gere sits playing the piano in the hotel and Julia Roberts walks up behind him and places her hands on his shoulder. Gere then turns and lifts her up, turning right back and seating her on the piano – the keys belting out a trrroooiiinnngg!

Of course, the husband does nothing like this (he is working on his laptop, remember? And those keys would get pressed and some weird email would get sent out to God knows who!)  So. Anyway.  

It was Valentine’s Day today. I say.

Oh! Is it? He says.

Happy Valentine’s Day. I smile.

Happy Valentine’s Day. He smiles.

As I look into his eyes, I remember the numerous times he has let me have the last bite of my favourite ice-cream, when he has let me drive his car and not said a word when I have almost nicked it, when he has stayed up late just so he could give me company when I am working late, when he has watched my favourite movie a hundred times, just because every time he asks me to put on a movie we can both watch, that is the only one I put on! Over the years, we have forgotten so many birthdays and anniversaries and Valentine’s Days; but I still remember the one time he gifted me a bouquet of 23 bright red roses – the only time – and I had gone to college, blushing as red as those roses, not knowing where to hide the bouquet, and at the same time, wanting to display it proudly to the world!

What? He asks.

Nothing. I shake my head.  

Mummy!!!! The little one shrieks from his room.

The husband’s phone pings at that moment with an incoming email.

We look at each other. We smile. I go to the little one. He checks the email.    


Comments

  1. Simple and relatable story, Rashmi. Loved it. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartwarming. I read it and then thought for a while. The way we get up everyday to resume our daily routine, the to-dos, the mechanics, everything affects the way we express our emotions. The forever time crunch makes it tough to retain the realisations which fleet in and out during the day. And still at the end of the day, if it is the language of the heart that speaks, nothing more is there worth grateful for.
    On a lighter note, how did you wake up your husband today? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this lovely comment Anamika :) True what you say there - so long as the heart speaks the language of love, nothing more is there to be grateful for - beautiful words, dear; and a wonderful thought!
      About waking up the husband, you see, the waking up to the alarm grates more than I like to let on. And so, even though I had other plans, the husband still woke up to 'Morning! The coffee's getting cold!" :D

      Delete
  3. Rashmi - I loved your post. The story telling, the slight humour about Tharoor, people wishing spouses on social media, how chores take over our lives and then of course the fact that love is not restricted to a day. It's what we do for each other almost every single day. Your writing actually made my heart smile. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Parul for you lovely words! I am smiling now, as I reply to your comment :) It is indeed the little things, isn't it? Hope you had a lovely Valentine's :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

The Dream

“Hello,” said the voice on the phone. “My name is Roald Dahl. I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am, but I’ve been given your name as someone who can help me with my next book…” That was how it all started. With that one dream. Of course, I knew it even before I had opened my eyes, that it was a dream. I mean, who in their right mind would say I know you never expected a call from me, as famous as I am… ?! Not to mention the fact that Dahl has been dead for the past twenty-eight years. But that didn’t matter. Not at that time. Because that dream gave me clarity. That dream propelled me into action after ages of inactivity. Well, I say ages, but it was merely months, really. Months spent going in and out of courtrooms. Months spent climbing up and down that horrid staircase of the family court building. Horrible, awful months. Excruciating months, when I preferred oblivion, and possibly even contemplated death. Months when I didn’t want to exis