Skip to main content

The Past That Binds...



The sound of the raindrops hitting the window panes in a quiet residential part of a small town is so different from that in a big city. That is the thought in her mind now, as she looks out of her kitchen window. The trees around her property are thick and dark as they stand drenched in the heavy downpour. It is the second day in a row that heavy rains continue to lash their area. She has heard in the morning on the radio that the rain will continue for a couple more days. It is good, she thinks, that she has just picked up her groceries, having moved in only a few days ago.
     
From the small gap in the trees, she can see across to the blue-walled house, just as she could see as a child. It is drenched too. The creepers outside its kitchen wall making a brave attempt at holding on through the heavy downpour. She can see its kitchen window clearly from here. How amazing, she thinks, how few things change over a period of time, although everything is changed eventually.

As she stands warming milk and a cup of water for her tea on the gas stove, she notices that there is no movement in the kitchen of the blue-walled house. Latabai must have left a half hour ago, having cooked dinner and cleaned up for the day, she knows. And any moment now, he would come to the kitchen to make tea. That was something he did himself, she has noticed. Unless he has visitors. Then that was the job for the help.  

She is lost in thought, when the doorbell rings. She switches off the gas, walks out, and opens the main door to see him standing there. He stands with an umbrella awkwardly balanced in the crook of his shoulder, with his walking stick in one hand and a small empty bowl in another. The umbrella drips all over her doormat, she sees, just like it would when he would come over in their childhood on some errand, and her mother would spend hours cleaning up the porch after he had left! She suppresses her smile and quickly gestures to him to come in.

He shuts the umbrella clumsily (still!), trying to get to the catch with the same hand that holds his stick. The bowl in his hand slips and she catches it before it falls to the ground. He gives her a look that says “I am impressed” and she backs into the living room, allowing him to enter. He shakes the umbrella and leaves it resting outside the door on her porch.

“Nice reflexes!” he says by way of greeting.

“Good afternoon to you too,” she says. And they both laugh at the memory of all the nonsensical things they would say to each other as children.

She holds up the bowl. “What’s this for?”  

“Umm…I am out of sugar.” He says sheepishly. “Latabai usually does my grocery shopping, but she forgot when she got the rest of the stuff on Saturday; and now with this continuous rain…”

“Say no further” she says, holding up her palm. And turns towards the kitchen. Then she turns back again. “Why don’t you stay for tea, instead?” she asks. “I am making some for myself anyway.”

He agrees. And she nods and goes back to the kitchen. She pours another cup of water in the vessel she has been boiling the water in, and lights the stove. She turns to take out sugar from the cupboard and sees him at the kitchen door. He stands with one hand on his stick and one on the doorframe.

“Make yourself comfortable,” she says pointing towards the living room with her chin. “I won’t be long.”

“Oh, it’s okay.” He says. “I’d much rather stand. I need the exercise. This weather plays havoc on my knees.”

“So, that is why the stick...” She says.

“Yes. My knees are shot. In fact, when walking, they just take their own twists and turns.” He says. And then gives a hearty laugh. “I wouldn’t have believed if anyone had told me when I ran around so much as a child, that I would have unreliable knees later in life!” he says.

She smiles.

“So? You all settled in?” he asks her, looking around.

“Yes.” She says. “There isn’t much to “settle,” though.”

He nods. “I see you have cleaned up the garden.” he says. “And you’ve got it all dug up too…didn’t figure you for gardening…

“Neither did I!” She shrugs. “I began with the weeds and the overgrowth, and now I am thinking of flowers…I just feel I need to see some colour. I mean, the greenery is great. But it is too monotonous.”

He nods again. “Spoken like a true city-dweller,” he says.

She rolls her eyes.





They sit in the living room with their tea. She has set out a plate of Marie biscuits, that he refuses to touch. “I am not a dog!” he says grinning, reminding her of his aversion to biscuits in general and Marie biscuits in particular. She cannot help but laugh at the memory of him always saying that when offered biscuits as a child.

For the next few hours, with steaming cups of tea in hand, they take a nostalgic trip down memory lane. They talk about their shared childhood - the regular disappearances they would pull as kids, running wild into the corn fields; the pranks they would play – that one time they had stuck crackers on the outside of a friend’s bedroom window, lit and run away – they laugh at the memory of the play they put up in their Tenth Grade, where the boy playing Bheem had been so skinny that the entire cast couldn’t help giggling when he was on stage. They talk about the punishments that they would get as children, getting into mischief too; and talk of common acquaintances and as many teachers and friends from the past as they can.

“Oh, by the way, I went grocery shopping the other day, and guess who I met!” she exclaims suddenly.

He looks up at her, intrigued.  

“I met Sudha!” she says. “Sudha…Shivu’s sister?”

 “Shivu?” he frowns.  

 “That boy who taught us swimming? The gaunt, dark boy…he used to live on the other side of the railway tracks, remember?”

“Oh that boy! That boy? The boy that drow…” he stops abruptly.

“Yes.” She whispers.

The rain continues to pelt against the windows and it starts getting dark outside.

He looks at her intently and asks, “You knew?”

“Yes,” she says.

“But I thought no one told you…”

“They didn’t, initially. But then one day I had a fight with my brother, Abhi, you remember? And he was upset with me; and he said, ‘sometimes I wish it should’ve been you instead of Shivu!”

He gapes at her, shocked.

She sighs. “Then I kept pestering my mother till she told me the whole truth.”

“It was my fault,” he says.

She shakes her head. “Mother said you tried saving me, but before you could get to me, Shivu had dived in very fast. He managed to pull me out of the whirlpool, but got sucked in himself instead. 
They didn’t tell me because I was so scared I had high fever for days…” she stops when she sees him shaking his head. “What?”

“It was my fault Krishna,” he says gravely, without meeting her eyes. “After we boys came up leaving only you girls in the river, we were just goofing around. Next thing I know, I heard you calling for help and I saw you get pulled in the whirlpool. But I was too scared to go in after you. I stood there, frozen. Shivu had heard your cries too. He just dived without a thought. Yogesh and that other boy…Keshav? They too dived after him. But I still stood there like a statue. I saw Shivu get to you and then Yogesh swim with you to the shore. I think the other boy tried to save Shivu. I remember him coming back scared, running towards the village when Shivu had gone under….
Much later, when Shivu’s fate was sealed, I remember him giving me a look of such contempt….I still wake up sweating some nights when I see his face in my dreams.” 

She sits there, staring at him. He doesn’t meet her eyes.




Note: This is the second part of the story I am writing for Write Tribe's October 2017 ProBloggerChallenge
The story is being serialized for the duration of the Challenge. 
You can check out the story so far in Part 1 and here's what happens next in Part 3.    

Comments

  1. Beautifully written with dramatic twists and turns! I can see this as a novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alice! I am really glad you think so :D

      Delete
  2. Interesting narration with many twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked the twist in the end. Waiting for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m enjoying the story of these two folks. You are a good story teller, Rashmi. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an unexpected turn in the story, made me sit up after the easy comfortable route it had been taking. Your writing flows seamlessly and the story is suddenly got more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tulika :) This is story is growing on me too!

      Delete
  6. Rashmi, I had goosebumps while reading your story. Love the Marue biscuits part too. The light and dark dialogue keeps one riveted.Awesome storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sulekkha :) Glad you are liking the piece.

      Delete
  7. Very engaging narration. Wondering where this is headed. Will come back for Part 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! And would love to hear your feedback on Part 3 :)

      Delete
  8. Love the narration and the little details, Rashmi. That is a gripping twist. I'm hooked. Need to know more. You are quite a storyteller, Rashmi. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vinitha :) You are too kind!

      Delete
  9. You are such an amazing writer. Loved all these twists and storytelling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the details and where this story is heading, Rashmi. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Corinne :) I am so glad and humbled!

      Delete
  11. I really admire the way you've written! So many memories to discuss about when people have met after a long time! I wonder how this revelation will affect them. Waiting to read the next part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Reema :) Humbled, really :) Do check out Part 3 and let me know your feedback.

      Delete
  12. superb Rashmi... looking forward for the next part

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I had goosebumps by the end of this part! And, to think I missed reading it! So sorry!
    But, I think, in fact, I know we have a great novelist amidst us, here at Write Tribe! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shilpa, you are too kind! What can I say, I am truly humbled :)
      Look forward to entertaining you with the Friday post.

      Delete
  14. Nuanced characterisation. I like the way you've shown the hero got cold feet. We all do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nupur. Glad you like the characters and the way they are going.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

Of life lessons and listening to one’s heart - Mrs. B speaks

Small pleasures matter in life. Really small, everyday pleasures. Like, being able to smell the garden in full bloom on a hot summer day, or being able to have a hot water bath in cold weather. Or even being able to drink a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Or, for that matter, being able to eat junk food to one’s heart’s content! Ah, bliss! Oh, I almost forgot, for those of you who haven’t met me before , myself, Mrs. Bhagirathi. The kids in my building call me Mrs. B. I am a housewife. Or better still – a homemaker. I work from home and generally spend time reading and surfing the internet when the kids and my husband are away for the day. I also cook and clean, and wash and iron clothes – but I guess all that is included in the title of “homemaker.” So no special mention needed. So, like I was saying, life is a sum total of small pleasures. And what I said about junk food, is absolutely true. Especially when you think of the cheeseburger. Or the veggie bur