Skip to main content

As your child changes right before your eyes…


“Mum, I want rasam to drink.” the little one declared.

“Sure, give me ten minutes, will give you. But why rasam? Are you feeling a cold coming on?” I asked worried.

“No, no, I just felt like it. Just for the taste.” he said nonchalantly.

I stood in the kitchen, trying to come to terms with the fact that my little one, who has till now never asked for rasam specifically, in fact, who has even refused to have rasam whenever I have offered it to him as a cold or cough remedy, was suddenly asking me for this concoction, no demanding it just for the taste! And even as I was still taking this in, I heard him go out and speak to his Dad.

“I am having rasam before dinner Dad, would you like some too? I can tell Mum to make for you as well…” he asked his father.

“Sure! Go ahead,” the father happily replied.

So in walked my little one again to deliver the order for one more bowl of rasam and as he went out, his father asked him “You like rasam, is it?”

“Yes.”

“You know, it is my favourite too!” the father quipped.

And I stood there, all alone in the kitchen, watching my son grow into this completely different person who I hardly knew anymore! Who was this child, really? My little one is supposed to come and hug me every five minutes and cuddle with me on the rocking chair with a book. But he is now growing so big, he takes up the entire rocking chair himself! And he isn’t interested in Winnie the Pooh anymore, but is engaged in secret agent stuff and goes on adventures with The Three Investigators and Hardy Boys and their ilk. My little one is supposed to ask for cookies and biscuits and cakes, he is supposed to come help me bake them. But this child is now more interested in watching how pasta and pizzas and parathas are made. He is keen to understand how soups and rasam are concocted and says that he hates milk and wants tea instead!

Parenting is a roller coaster! This we all know. There is no dull moment when you have a little one in the house. Whether you have a toddler at home or a teenager, you are bound to have your hands full. But as much as you want to scream out I can’t take it anymore! from the rooftop, even you know that his time you have now with your child is the best! These moments are a precious few! Tomorrow when your toddler goes to school or your teenager goes to college, these are the very same moments you will reminisce about. You will not remember at that time how annoying your child is, or how much trouble he/she expects you to go through for them; but you will remember the bedtime cuddles, the wet kisses, the stories your child loves to read in bed with you and the demands your child makes on you, trusting you to fulfill his wishes every single time!

A few days back, I read an article where Katie Holmes spoke about the most heart breaking part of parenting – watching your child grow. Every day, kids get a little further away from you,” she said when speaking about her daughter Suri. “That’s a positive thing. They should be becoming more independent, but it’s heartbreaking. You want them to stay with you forever, but they’re these amazing beings, and you have to do everything you can to give them what they need—and then they’re going to go,” she reminded us.

Isn’t that the case with all of us parents? All our lives, we strive to raise independent, confident children who can live life without our help and on their own terms. And yet, when they really decide to go ahead and do that, it pinches us a little somewhere. It’s not that we do not want them to grow into these amazing personalities they are going to grow into; but it is that, we are never done being parents to that little bundle of joy we brought home from the hospital swaddled in blankets, praying all the time that we hopefully get things right. Praying that we are good parents, that we do nothing wrong and muddle up this beautiful, perfect thing that has happened to us.

And even as we struggle to be the best parents we can be, even as we strive harder, every day, trying to be an example that our kids can rely on, there is that pinch, that little nagging thought, that the days are passing, we are getting older by the day – and so are our kids! This process is so subtle, so elusive that we do not actually see the changes – much like we cannot see time passing – but then someday suddenly something happens – a stray grown-up word your little one uses, or you notice that his preferences have changed – and then you look back to see how far you have come.

As I placed the bowls of rasam before my men, I couldn’t help but notice that the father and son now really had a lot in common. In fact, my little one, who at one time was so much like me, is changing right before my eyes and turning into his own beautiful person. I smiled at the thought and the husband (who clearly had no idea what I was thinking) smiled back at me.


Change is natural, even essential, and if my little one has to grow, he has to take his own daring steps in the world. I know. But I still hope sometimes, that he gives me that one extra cuddle, that one extra hug, asks for one more funny story, plays one more game with me, before it is time for me to step back and for him to spread his wings and soar! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

आईचा ब्रेक

मिस्टर सानेंनी हळू डोळे उघडले. खिडकीतून उन्हं येत होती. खाडकन जागे झाले. दुपार झाली कि काय! घड्याळ बघितल, हुश्श, आठच वाजतायेत! पण पुढच्याच क्षणी लक्षात आलं, आठ वाजले तरी किचन मधून काही आवाज येत नाहीयेत. आज तर गुरुवार, वर्किंग डे, एव्हाना किचन मधून आवाजच नव्हे तर तर-तर्हेचे वासही यायला हवेत. डबा तयार झाला असला पाहिजे, चहा तयार झाला आला पाहिजे. पण आज कसलीच हालचाल दिसत नाही! शेजारी पहिल तर मिसेस सानेही शेजारी नाहीत. काय भानगड आहे बुआ आज?   चष्मा चढवून मिस्टर साने बेडरूम मधून बाहेर आले. मिसेस सानेंचा घरात कुठेच पत्ता नव्हता! गेली कुठे  ही? मिस्टर सानेंनी सुनबाईंना विचारायच ठरवलं. पण श्वेता त्यांना कुठे दिसेना. इतक्यात, "गुडमॉर्निंग  बाबा!" म्हणत श्वेता जांभई देत बाहेर आली आणि त्यांच्या उत्तराची वाट न पाहता, तडक  "गुडमॉर्निंग आई" म्हणत किचन मध्ये गेली. मिस्टर साने तिला काही सांगणार इतक्यात,  "अहो बाबा, आई कुठेयत?" म्हणत पुन्हा बाहेर आली. एव्हाना तिची झोप पूर्णपणे उडाली होती. "माहित नाही बुआ, मला वाटलं तुला काही बोलली असेल..."   त्यांना वा

Love them or hate them....

"Behind every great kid is a mom who is pretty sure she is getting it all wrong", they say. True, parenting is a game of 'wait and watch.' There is no right or wrong here; or nothing that is a sure fire success mantra. Everyone has a different take on on how they wish to raise their young ones. And it is the choices that parents make that impact their children majorly. 

Of life lessons and listening to one’s heart - Mrs. B speaks

Small pleasures matter in life. Really small, everyday pleasures. Like, being able to smell the garden in full bloom on a hot summer day, or being able to have a hot water bath in cold weather. Or even being able to drink a hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning. Or, for that matter, being able to eat junk food to one’s heart’s content! Ah, bliss! Oh, I almost forgot, for those of you who haven’t met me before , myself, Mrs. Bhagirathi. The kids in my building call me Mrs. B. I am a housewife. Or better still – a homemaker. I work from home and generally spend time reading and surfing the internet when the kids and my husband are away for the day. I also cook and clean, and wash and iron clothes – but I guess all that is included in the title of “homemaker.” So no special mention needed. So, like I was saying, life is a sum total of small pleasures. And what I said about junk food, is absolutely true. Especially when you think of the cheeseburger. Or the veggie bur